Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Beautiful to Him.

Sometimes, when I am going about my normal daily activities, I think through things I could blog about or write in my journal. Almost as if I am narrating my life for a bunch of readers, mostly hoping that I can portray how I really feel about life. Usually, its just for me, to help myself form who I want to be, and realize who I am. I usually don't write these things down, because by the time I sit down with a pen and paper, my thoughts escape me.
Today I have been thinking about self image.
I remembered a time in High school when I was in the Library having a conversation with one of my friends. She was telling me about a program that helps elementary girls have a better self image. One of the things that they do is have all of them write down things they love about their body. My friend was saying that it was so sad how so many girls couldn't think of anything. Then, she started spouting off things she loved about her body; her legs, her hair, her boobs, her eyes. Of course she had things that she was self consious about, but it amazed me how she could rant off everything she loved about herself. Asking me the same question, it took me a long time to say "Well, I guess I like my ankles."
And thats all I could come up with.
I often look back at that experience when I stand in front of the mirror disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I don't fill all my time with this nonsense, but I know that everyone has thoughts of inadequacy once and a while.
The world has changed the way women are portrayed. It doesn't matter how much we exercise, how much time and money we spend on our hair and clothes, we will never quite measure up. Personally, I don't spend much time on how I look, because usually I could care less. Looking around, it amazes me how many girls (and older women) are so focused on the way they look. Yes, its feels good to look good. Yes, it boosts your confidence when you know that you have accomplished something. But really, shouldn't we be focusing on other things?
I know that no amount of braces, plastic surgery, diets, and hair cuts will make any of us more beautiful in the sight of the Lord. To me the most beautiful women are those who are full of love and charity; always willing to serve and help those around them. These women may be fat, skinny, short, tall, greying, or wrinkling, but inside they are much more beautiful then those trying to set their goals in the ways of the world.
My Goal is to become a Beautiful person. Not in the way most people think beautiful is, but the way the Lord views it. I have a long ways to go, and a lot to learn, but, I have plenty of people around me to learn from.
Keep being beautiful. You are, never forget it.

2 comments:

Eva said...

you are so right in the thoughts you have expressed. Keep thinking the way you are and you will be beautiful in all you do.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Beautiful post, Diana. What a great attitude. You are a beautiful person inside and out. You're right though, we all have a long way to go and it is something we need to always work at. Thank you for writing this.