Thursday, March 3, 2011

17 again

I remember when I was 17. My 17 year old self isn't completely different than my current 19 year old self, we just have different priorities, schedules, and life experiences. Its only been 2 years, but the past 2 years have shaped and changed me a lot. Diana at 17 was concerned with;
High school grades
Diplomas
Having to babysit
Part time Jobs
University Decisions
Grad date (or lack thereof)
Grad dress
Dreading Stake youth activities
Graduating - Leaving that high school behind
Social life (or lack of... again)
Personal Progress
Getting out of Young Womens
Leaving my small town

I was happy, but life was menial. Every day I would think about what could be, and would be. I learnt a lot of life lessons. I learned how to be independent, gained a self esteem based on how I thought of myself (not what others though), went through some trials, and my testimony grew.
Life didn't change much when I turned 18. Gained experience, figured out what I wanted to do with my life, and started to put my life in the order I wanted it.
Now that I am 19 (still young, stupid, and naive) I can see how I have grown. My life is so drastically different. Sometimes I am still sad for that 17 year old Diana. That Diana didn't always feel like a normal teenager, and life seemed rough. That Diana had a breakdown in the washroom right before she was supposed to blow out her candles. But that was good. I see it now. I don't even know what a normal teenager is.
Now I face new trials, and life seems rough. It always is. But it is also always good too. I know that I have a lot of growing to do, and in a few years I will be able to see how important these learning experiences are.
Life is for crying, laughing so hard you can't breath, taking walks down dirt roads, smiling, helping someone, caring, getting discouraged, failing, stressing, accomplishing, rejoicing, getting nervous, feeling confident. Life is for learning.

Think for a moment. Become 17 again.
-Diana

1 comment:

Desirée Kastendieck said...

I'm just curious...was this post inspired by the movie "17 Again"? Diana, you are a beautiful young woman and I am thrilled to know you. I hope that you always remember to look past the rough points and remember all the good.
Love Desirée