I’ve had a
lot of thoughts on my work bouncing around my head lately. My work as a mother.
What I do day in and day out.
I feel very
blessed to have 2 amazing healthy children. I am a very young mother compared
to many, and this leaves me feeling inadequate and silly sometimes. Like I’m
still just “playing house” like I did as a child. Except now I can’t just throw
the doll back in the toy box or run to my Mom when I’m hungry or hurt. I’m the
one kissing owies and feeding mouths now. I often feel worried about what
others think about my life choices.
We recently
went to Jordan’s work Christmas party, and I was so worried about what the
co-workers wives would think of me. With successful and impressive careers, and
perfect children to boot. I kept practicing in my head the response to the
question “What do you do?” with an elaborate impressive dialog of my children
and duties of a mother. But when I was instead asked “So are you still on
maternity leave?” I was stopped in my tracks. I stammered out some details
about dropping out of nursing school and working part time jobs before our
oldest was born, and being a stay at home mom ever since. The nudge and comment to my
husband from her's, “Its all on you hey?” left me feeling small and
unsuccessful.
My grade 8
junior high teacher, who was very much stuck in the 70’s, once told us about
how her mother was one of the first mothers in her community to work outside of
her home. He mother was put down, and gossiped as being someone who didn’t care
about her responsibilities as a mother. The feminist inside me felt angry at
those who criticized this mother for wanting to do something she was passionate
about. Its seems that these days, the tables have turned, and it is now
uncommon or unpopular for woman to choose to stay at home, or put children
before an education. And the feminist inside me is just as angry. I’m not
saying its wrong to want to do those things. Education was the top priority on
my list, until God told me to re-order things in my life.
In the
October 2011 General Conference, Neil L. Anderson said something that has
always stuck with me;
Many voices in the world today marginalize the
importance of having children or suggest delaying or limiting children in a
family. My daughters recently referred me to a blog written
by a Christian mother
(not of our faith) with five children. She commented: “[Growing] up in this
culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood. …
Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability
to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below
any job you may have or hope to get.” She then adds: “Motherhood is not a
hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter
than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is
what God gave you time for.”7
This
afternoon I laid my toddler down for her nap and rushed to mop the very dirty
kitchen floor. I only got part way through when cries from my baby interrupted
my work. I picked him up and snuggled him close. He looked up at me with his
big brown eyes and grinned. We rocked in the chair as he gripped my finger
tight. His eyes quickly got heavy and he drifted back to sleep. I stayed there
for a while, soaking it all in. I said a little prayer thanking my Heavenly Father
for moments like this, for sending these spirits into my home. For making it
possible for me to be there all the time. For blessing Jordan with work so our
needs can be met. We may not have what a two-income household can afford, but
we have much more. There is no set right or wrong way to be a mother.
Everyone is different, and has different circumstances. To wrap up all my
thoughts, what I have concluded is that I should not be ashamed of my work.
What I do is important, and I love it more than anything else I have ever done.
I am a Mother.
-Diana
Here is another quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley:
“Women who make a house a home make a far greater contribution to society than those who command large armies or stand at the head of impressive corporations. Who can put a price tag on the influence a mother has on her children, a grandmother on her posterity, or aunts and sisters on their extended family?
“We cannot begin to measure or calculate the influence of women who, in their own ways, build stable family life and nurture for everlasting good the generations of the future. The decisions made by the women of this generation will be eternal in their consequences. May I suggest that the mothers of today have no greater opportunity and no more serious challenge than to do all they can to strengthen the [home]” (Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes[2000], 152).

5 comments:
Amen.. and - you make me so proud. Never give those voices a chance to take root in your heart. You are following Gods plan and doing it valiantly.
Yup.. you went to school for a while. filled your mind with knowledge, then moved on to a greater part of life. And did so willingly and lovingly. You are one of the best people I know.. that didn't come from a university degree... it came from being wise and spiritual. Love you !!!!!
Loved this post Diana! I often feel the same way when I got to my hubby's work Christmas parties. It's so hard not to feel little and unaccomplished. But motherhood is definitely the most important work one could ever do. You are amazing! Keep it up!
Loved reading this. It helped me remember how much I love being a mother, and how huge of a job it actually is. (I think that people without kids have no idea) I've been having similar feelings lately, but I feel like I am letting my education go to waste, since I am not working, but I know I am doing the most important thing I could possibly be doing! Being a full time mommy! Thanks again for the reminder!
I am in agreement 100% with you, I am in different circumstances myself, but I am getting an education online and living off the small income I have, sure I could go work out of my home at a minimum wage job nd go to school and allow someone else to raise my children at a daycare, but because I am able to do my courses online, I am able to be at home and still be a stay at home mom, because that is my number 1 job and priority.I have chosen a career that will start in 4 years, both my daughter and my son will be in school full days by than, And I am choosing a career that is in the school system so that I may have the same time and days off as my children except maybe the odd day, but that way I can still be at home with them where they need me. Being a single mom is not always easy, but I am strong and I am getting an education and being a good example for my children who need that in their lives, My number 1 job will always be a mom, because that is not just a worldly job, like a teacher or cashier or something like that, being a mom is being called of God, it is a privilege not a right, and I am thankful to be a mom, it is the calling I always wanted, and I love every moment i have with my children. You are a great mom Diana, and I love what you wrote in your blog, so beautifully put, and you know why being a mom is important too, because we are raising the leaders of tomorrow, and we need too raise them to be good loving, honest and Christ like adults. Cherise
Well said Diana. Never be ashamed of being a mother, especially a stay-at-home mom. Children need their mother to raise them and teach them correct principles. It is wonderful when a family can "afford" to have the mother stay home. Worldly things are just that - worldly. You are able to bless your family with spiritual things. Love you!
Post a Comment