The other day I cam across this free tutorial for Baby/Toddler Toms. I got so excited about it, and the next day we headed out to the fabric store to get materials. I think somewhere in the blog post it says that these are easy. Let me just say that nothing is easy when you are dealing with tiny shoes. I skipped a few parts that were way too complicated. The whole time I was sewing, pinning, pressing, and stitch ripping (oops), I was dreaming of my baby crawling around in these super cute Toms, that she would love, and would stay on perfectly. Well, that just set me up for a bunch of disappointment.
All the way to the very last step, everything was going great. It wasn't until I sewed the bottom on that it became apparent that they were TOO SMALL. AHHH! I had a meltdown at 12:00 am, after almost 4 hours of work. Even after resizing the pattern, they ended up being about 2 cm too small... I can still get them on her feet, but for only about 2 seconds, as she likes to kick and pull them off.
Soo.. my little one wont be getting any use out of these. Perhaps another baby will. I plan to re-vamp the pattern even more, making the top piece longer, with some elastic in it to keep it on her foot. If I get around to it.
On to the next pair!
-Diana



1 comment:
These are SO cute!!! And I know your pain about sewing shoes too small. I made a couple pairs of monster slippers for Tavin when he was one. Biggest let down when they turn out small.but on the bright side, you have a couple sizes for the next baby. ;)
Post a Comment