The anticipation of
this birth brought both fear and excitement. I knew a little bit of what to
expect, since I had laboured before, but this time I wanted to do things
differently. I wanted to have more control over my body without the use of an
epidural, and I wanted to experience being more in tune with my body in getting
him here safely. The day prior to the birth was a long day of pre-labor. I went
about as normally as possible. 2 weeks previously I had a whole day of false
labor, which was emotionally and physically exhausting. I didn’t want to get my
hopes up that he would be coming a few days early, but I gave the necessary
people the heads up, just in case. I took E to the park in the morning, and
went on a very slow walk. I tried to nap and rest in-between contractions, and watched
shows and played with E to pass the time. My Mom and sisters came into the
city around dinnertime in case we headed to the hospital. My contractions began
getting stronger around this time, but would vary in how close together they
were. As the evening progressed, so did the intensity of the contractions. We
decided to head to the hospital and around 11:30pm when we got there I was 6 cm
dilated. Shani, my wonderful cousin and doula-in-training, met us at the
hospital. She was a huge comfort and help throughout the whole process. She
rubbed my back, showed Jordan how to help me, gave suggestions, reminded me to
breath and relax, and helped me understand what my body was doing. It was hard
to not feel confident and strong when I had people there telling me how amazing
I am, that my body is strong, and that they love me. I spent most of my time in
the shower, allowing the hot water to relax my body as I got through each
contraction. I have to admit I did some strange things to cope and relax. Deep
low moaning, and buzzing my lips to name a few. When I started to feel more
pressure and got the urge to start pushing, I made my way back to the bed. 8
cm. I could feel myself moving into the transition phase (which is not any
fun). I started shivering and the contractions were longer and closer together.
I asked for laughing gas, which I inhaled deeply through each contraction, and
then tried to sleep in-between. It made me feel both loopy, and more in
control; a weird sensation. I could feel him coming down. I had to push. The
Doctor came and checked me, said that there was still a bit of rim but I could
push if I felt like it. So I did. It felt good and terrible at the same time.
It took me a few contractions to get the hang of the pushing and breathing, but
I had people there counting and telling me I could do it. After what seemed
like an eternity, but wasn’t that long at all, I looked up at Jordan and said, “I
can’t do this!” “Yes you can, your body is strong.” And I believed them-
mostly. I have always heard about the ‘ring of fire’, I felt it, but was more
focused on the pressure, such a surge of strong, painful pressure. The nurse
told me to stop and breath through the next contraction- He was almost here.
Then they told me to push. One, maybe two contractions later- Pop. I was done.
3:05 am. 15 minutes of pushing. I looked down to see the most amazing, puffy,
goopy little baby boy. They put him right on my chest. Such joy. “I did it! He’s
here! My baby!” Jordan was able to cut the cord after they clamped it. We were such proud parents.
I had no idea my
heart could grow so much again. I remembered this feeling from before when I
first met E. It is an amazing experience welcoming a spirit, fresh from God.
My baby.
Torrin Richard Anderson
8lbs
20 inch
Torrin Richard Anderson
8lbs
20 inch
E sure loved to give him kisses. She loves her baby brother.
-Diana






2 comments:
AWWW Huge congrats!!!
Congratulations to all of you! And, a belated happy birthday!
Post a Comment